Lady in Ermine is great for Book Clubs!
Book clubs are the perfect opportunity to examine Sofonisba’s life and accomplishments.
If you would like Donna to join for a zoom, please email her at email@example.com with your proposed dates and time and put “Book Club Request” in the subject line.
Book Club Questions
- In the novel, what inspires Sofonisba’s choice to pursue portraiture?
- Sofonisba’s father Amilcare is supportive of her ambitions. What is his motivation?
- What does her tutor Marco represent?
- How does her art kit get her into trouble? How does it help her?
- At the King’s court, does either her gender or her profession limit her reputation? Does her gender or profession assist her reputation?
- The Plague of Burgos in 1565 decimates the town but then provides the cardinal a chance at redemption. Is it realistic the priest would regret his conduct toward the two individuals he addresses in his letters?
- What does the painting Lady in Ermine represent?
- What element appears in the first and last scenes?
- What was Sofonisba’s greatest life challenge?
- Would Sofonisba have been more successful if she were a man?
Donna with book club members.